So, I've been back for a couple of weeks (ish) and it's so cool to see that so many of the people I communicated with most frequently are still around, and still bashing out art. It's better still to see the level of improvement just about everyone has made. I doff my cap!
I'll admit that I haven't caught up with going through everyone's galleries yet, that will take an age. It's a pity I've been rushed off of my feet with various courses and other bits and pieces to take the time out for a comment fest
but I'll get there.
The Games/art course seems to be going well, It's still early days, and my hardware is still going to limit what I can produce in 3D for a while. but I'm looking forward to getting back into playing with games engines and so on. I did a huge level for an Unreal Tournament 2004? mod when I was at university, and I was kind of getting the hang of it, though it's all so much more complex now of course.
I did say that I'd have to start making some art again. so I started a short project last week.
The aim was to just design a character, come up with a brief and treat it as a concept art project for a videogame, with the intention of producing a final head-shot, and a full body shot as though being handed off to a modeler. (in the back of my mind I was thinking perhaps I'd eventually model it myself, but I didn't want to limit the design by thinking, 'nice... but I don't know how I'd model/animate that!!!'. I'm hoping my 3D will improve to the point where I can be a little more bold with polygons
Iv'e been working my way through the stages, and have something I'm fairly pleased with. so as I hope to be posting it in the near future, I figured I'd share the original brief I came up with. and maybe some of you helpful individuals can let me know how close to the brief you think I managed to get.Character: The Cleric
- The Cleric is an Alien Monk of the ‘Toan Abbey’. He’s the guardian of ‘The Books of the Way’. He is an aloof and somewhat suspicious character, though not entirely unfriendly.
- He is a tall and slender humanoid.
- He is quite old, but not ancient.
- He is an imposing figure, and in his youth was something of an adventurer.
- His sect bears the ‘creator’s eye’, a focus of their meditations and wear a symbol of this on their foreheads.
- The character must be recognisable as a non combatant, and as a wise and learned member of a religious order.
- The religion is wealthy and respected, though the sect does not go in for opulence, their garb is quite functional, more decorated than a monk perhaps, but no medieval bishop.
- The Cleric carries a staff which may or not have some religious significance.
- His world is pre-industrial.
What do you think? I wonder what this conjures in your mind? I wonder if what I have produced looks anything like you imagine him
Thanks for dropping by!